TESL- 01030 - Reflection on Unit 3


In unit 3 - Reading and Vocabulary -

Having read the article on What 80% Comprehension Feels Like really had me trying really hard to understand it. It's a great way to make you see and realize what English Language Learners go through when reading a text that is not in their native tongue. After the reading, we had to do a checklist of the reading strategies we went through in order to understand it. As I went through it, I did do most of them, but then I realized there were a few more options I could have done, but didn't. 


I learned that there are: 
Pre-reading strategies for reading a text, such as making predictions based on the titles, images, and content. Along with asking questions like, who wrote it, why, and where was it written? 
While reading strategies, some examples are using mapping schematics, skimming and scanning.
Post-reading strategies include paraphrasing, summarizing and discussing

I used these strategies to develop my Vocabulary activity, which was not as easy as I thought it would be, and it took me longer than I wanted it to. However, it taught me to make sure that I am always reinforcing the vocabulary learned in many different ways as to appeal to the different kinds of learners. 

Also in this unit, we got to use a new computer tech app. Padlet! 😆 I was skeptical at first but I actually quite like it. It's so simple to use, definitely user-friendly for anyone to use. I would even use it in the classroom as a way for students to post ideas or even have the students create one where they get to write daily journals of the lesson and such. Another tool that I will be happy to share with my PLN.


Laters!!!


References:

McCullough, G. (2016). All things linguistic. Retrieved from: http://allthingslinguistic.com/post/155043761501/what-80-comprehension-feels-like



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 0100 - Unit 7 Review

TESL 0100 - Unit 6 Review

TESL - 0130 Adapting a Text